Helpful Resources for Claimants - Unemployment Insurance
This webpage includes several resources to help claimants (individuals who receive unemployment insurance benefits) understand the unemployment insurance (UI) process, including information about how to apply for UI benefits (also called filing an initial claim), use BEACON, file an appeal, and use the Job Contact and Reemployment Activity Log, among many other topics. If you are unemployed, you may file a claim for unemployment insurance benefits in BEACON or by telephone at 667-207-6520.
- Lower Appeals
A claimant who disagrees with a determination that impacts their eligibility for UI benefits may file an appeal with the Lower Appeals Division.
- Board of Appeals
A claimant who disagrees with a Lower Appeals determination may file an appeal with the Board of Appeals. Only Lower Appeals determinations can be appealed to the Board of Appeals.
- Lower Appeals
- BEACON is Maryland’s online UI system. Claimants can use BEACON to complete several UI tasks, 24/7, including filing an initial claim, filing weekly claim certifications, reviewing payment history, and much more.
- BEACON Claimant User Guide
- BEACON Section of the Claimant Most Frequently Asked Questions Webpage
- BEACON Glossary of Terms
- BEACON Tutorial Videos
- Tutorial videos are available on YouTube and on the Maryland Division of Unemployment Insurance homepage. Video topics include creating an account in the BEACON system, filing a claim in BEACON, navigating the system, and more.
- Benefit Payment Control - Audits, Overpayments, and Fraud
- Benefit Payment Methods - Direct Deposit of Benefit Payments FAQs
- Contact Information for Claimants
- File your Weekly Claim Certification Online in BEACON
- Frequently Asked Questions for Claimants
- Answers to questions about filing a new claim for benefits, eligibility requirements, filing a weekly claim certification, appeals, and more.
- Income Tax Information
- Information and Documents Needed for Claims Filing
- Job Dislocation, Making Smart Financial Choices after a Job Loss
- Maryland’s Valid Reemployment Activities List
- Maryland’s Work Search Requirements
- MD Unemployment for Claimants mobile app
- Download the app from the Google Play Store.
- Download the app from the iOS App Store.
- Use a mobile app to file a weekly claim certification, view claim information, update address and tax withholding preferences, and more.
- Notice - Additional Training Benefits (ATB)
- Unemployment Insurance Definitions
- Video - How to use MWE Job Contact and Reemployment Activity Log
- Video - Sometimes Good People Make Bad Decisions
- Work Sharing Information
Job Search and Reemployment Resources
- EARN Maryland
- Bridging Maryland’s skills gap by partnering with businesses, offering educational opportunities, and preparing individuals for meaningful careers.
- Job Seeker Services
- Services for job seekers are offered virtually and at locations statewide. Services include job training, career counseling, youth workforce programs, apprenticeship programs, adult education, and more.
Additional Government Resources
- Assistance from the Maryland Department of Human Resources
- Bank and Credit Union Accounts: Frequently Asked Questions (for consumers)
- Consumer Resources - Financial Regulation
- Foreclosure Prevention Information
- Free File (Tax Preparation Assistance)
- Health Care Coverage for the Unemployed
- 2-1-1 Maryland